Corona News

 
Go To Archive Archive.htmlArchive.htmlshapeimage_1_link_0

History of Corona Avenue Elementary


Original Name:

Harding Elementary


Year Built:  1911


Student Population: 

1911 - 102 students

1934 - 651 students

2006 - 1,246 students


Location: Bell, California


History:

In 1903, the first classes of Corona Avenue Elementary were held in a church in the Bell area.  James G. Bell donated four acres of land located at the corner of Corona and Bell Avenues.  This first school house accommodated 20 students of all grades and was named Harding Elementary.  In 1911, a two story brick building was constructed and Harding Elementary’s enrollment was 102 students, under the principal directorship of Ms. Minnie C. Hart.  In 1913, the school’s name was changed to Bell Grammar School, and in 1923, it became known as Bell Grammar #1, because there were three schools in Bell at this time.  The school entered the Los Angeles Unified School District system in 1926 and had its name changed finally to Corona Avenue Elementary.


In 1933, Long Beach, California was the epic center of a major earthquake, and many communities, including Bell, suffered extensive damage.  The top floor of the two story building of Corona Avenue Elementary had to be removed and the first floor needed to be thoroughly repaired.  In 1934, through the PWA program, famed architect, Richard Nuetra helped transform Corona into an “experimental” school.  His design consisted of huge sliding glass patio walls which opened the entire side of the room directly to the outside.  At this time, the enrollment of Corona was 651 students with 21 teachers.  Because of Richard Nuetra’s works, Corona Avenue has since become an historical landmark.

Subscribe to RSS Feed
More pictures../Photos.html
 
Blog Summary Widget
PLC../PLC.html

Professional Learning Community

Corona Avenue Elementary