Syllabus: Introduction to Computers
One Mester, 5 credits, Course #: 180103
Course Exit Requirements
|Students will meet the LAUSD Computer Literacy Graduation Requirement. (Reference Guide No. M-52) and complete the Student Performance Portfolio||Students will use their school network file saving account with username and password.||Students will return signed AUP forms and understand the AUP issues and requirements.||Students will pass the Internet test and be able to effectively use their LAUSDnet account.|
- Computer & Printer Maintenance
- Care of keyboard, mouse. No food or drinks near computer.
- Care for monitor. Don't touch screen.
- Care for cables. Don't remove cables
- Care of disks. Keep them away from heat, magnets, graphite, etc.
- Inform teacher when virus alert sounds or suspicious activity, and be able to remove viruses.
- Don't change settings or preferences for any software
- Don't copy software or install any software (including games).
- Don't waste resources with excessive printing
- Operating System Skills
- Launch software and identify which software is running.
- Locate software and files on the HD.
- Name and SAVE files, and to different disks
- Print files and troubleshoot printing
- Copy and formatt disks
- Determine OS, RAM, and HD size.
- Determine size of files and programs
- Create folders and name them
- Organizing system for files and folders.
- Home position, two handed typing
- Type at 20-25 WPM.
- Use alternate keyboard commands for mouse commands
- Word Processing
- Create, retrieve and print a document
- Enhance a wp file using graphics tools
- Edit and format a document using copy, paste, cut, spell check, change fonts, size, style menus.
- Create headers, footers, page numbers.
- Use different file formats, including RTF and PDF files.
- Construct a spreadsheet using numerical data, text headings and titles, and formulas. Formulas should include add, subtract, multiply, divide, average and fine percents.
- Create an budget, purchase order, party planning or wage statement
- Organize a database into the necessary fields of information
- Create a database, enter the data, and format the file.
- Create a report from the data using a set of rules
- Organize a topic into a simple, 5 pages multi-media project.
- Create the 5 page project and demonstrate that the links work correctly.
- log onto a network and send an e-mail message.
- Open and respond to an e-mail message.
- Send an attachment
- Societal & Ethical Issues
- Abide by the Jeff HS and LAUSD Acceptable Use Policies (AUP).
- Describe the influence of technology on our lives at home, school and at work and recreation.
- Understand and respect copyright laws and "intellectual property rights" as they apply to electronic information
- Evaluate the intent and accuracy of electronic information. Distinguish between fact, opinion, bias and point of view when using information. Correctly reference information from traditional and electronic sources.
Introduction to Computers: Student Portfolio v2.0
|Word Processing||Create a one page resume including personal information (can be sample info), educational experience, work experience, educational goals, career goals.|
|Word Processing||Create a plan for four year schedule of classes using tables. Indicate required and elective classes.|
|Word Processing||Create a one page announcement flier using clip art. Show the use of two fonts, regular and italic styles,|
|Word Processing||Create a one page newsletter using two columns.|
|Spreadsheet||Create a spreadsheet which calculates the expenses of a birthday party attended by ten members and involving eight purchases.|
|Spreadsheet||Create a spreadsheet which calculates the deductions for ten employees, including state and federal taxes, social security, health insurance, disability, retirement.|
|Spreadsheet||Create a bar graph based on the birthday party spreadsheet and paste it into a word processing document. Explain the graph in that one page.|
|Spreadsheet||Create a pie graph based on the employee payroll spreadsheet and paste it into a word processing document. Explain the graph in that one page.|
|Database||Create a database inventorying six CDs, recording artist, song composer, record company, year, song titles, music categories, song length.|
|Database||Create a report based on the CD database.|
|Presentation||Create an eight page presentation that displays a clear, logical sequence using good word processing skills.|
|Presentation||Create a three page html presentation that is logically linked.|
|Research Skills||Reference content downloaded from the Internet: Two images and two text references.|
|AUP||One page essay on in the importance of respecting Intellectual property rights and correctly referencing content.|
|AUP||One page essay on the importance of every organization that provides Internet access to enforce an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).|
|AUP||Pass the Jefferson High School LAUSDnet Student Internet test and get an LAUSDnet account.|
|[ Computer Dept. | Departments ]|