The following information is a summary of the School Site Council (SSC), Compensatory Education Advisory Committee (CEAC), and English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC). For more information on these school site committees,
you may download the LAUSD School Advisory Committee and School Site Councils Bulletin 4148.1.
School Site Councils
The SSC is the decision-making council for Consolidated Application programs operated at the school to improve student achievement. The SSC shall develop and approve the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) in consultation with all stakeholders (with the review, certification and advice of any applicable school advisory committee, including the Compensatory Education Advisory Committee (CEAC), the English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) and the Gifted & Talented Education Program Advisory Committee.
Roles/Responsibilities of the SSC are to:
· Develop a comprehensive Single Plan for Student Achievement and ensure that the school is continually engaged in identifying and implementing curriculum and instructional practices.
· The SSC must meet at least eight (8) times per year.
School Site Council Resource Materials
Compensatory Education Advisory Committee (CEAC)
Functions of the CEAC is to ensure that committee members receive training so they may advise and make recommendations in writing to the principal and the SSC on the development of an effective educational program and plan that raises the achievement of disadvantaged students.
The responsibilities are to
· Participate in the assessment of educational needs, establishment of priorities, planning of the educational program and budget resources, evaluation of the school and its academic effectiveness
· Assess the educational needs of students
· Establish data-related priorities
· Plan the educational program and budget resources
· Evaluate the school and its academic effectiveness
Compensatory Educational Advisory Committees fall under the Greene Act
(Education Code 35147).
English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC)
Each school with more than 21 English learner students (including Special Education schools) shall establish an elected English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC).
The responsibilities of the ELAC include:
· Advising the School Site Council (SSC) on the development of the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), especially those sections related to English learner
· Assisting in the development of the school’s Needs assessment, Language census.
· Making efforts to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
· Advising the principal and staff on the school’s program for English learners.
· Assisting the LDELAC in the dissemination of information and materials related to all aspects of the Master Plan for English Learners
· Advising in the development of and approval of the school’s Title III and Economic Impact Aid-Limited English Proficient (EIA-LEP) budgets.
English Learner Advisory Committees fall under the Greene Act
(Education Code 35147).
Los Angeles Unified School District
School, Family and Parent/Community Services
Parent Community Services Branch
1360 W. Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(866) 669-7272 or (213) 481-3350